Compliance requirements are constantly changing! On July 21, 2023 the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) announced a new Form I-9, which became available on August 1, 2023. Employers should begin using the new Form I-9 now during the hiring and re-hiring processes. Although you have until October 31, 2023 to transition completely to the new form, penalties will apply after that date if you use the older form.
What’s New in Form I-9
- Streamlined. Sections 1 and 2 are combined on a single-sided sheet
- Convenience. The form can be filled out on tablets and mobile devices
- Separate Supplements. Moved both the Preparer/Translator Certification section and the Reverification and Rehire section to 2 separate, standalone supplements that you can use when necessary
- Acceptable Documents. Revises the List of Acceptable Documents page to include some acceptable receipts, plus includes guidance and links to information on automatic extensions of employment authorization documentation
- Remote Verification. Includes a checkbox allowing employers to indicate they examined Form I-9 documentation remotely under a DHS-authorized alternative procedure rather than via physical examination.
Employers do not have to obtain a new Form I-9 from existing employees, as long as there is a valid form already on file. However, if the employee’s employment authorization document (EAD) or receipt has expired, then the I-9 must be updated. Also, be sure to keep each employee’s Form I-9 and any copies (or electronic images) you made of the employee’s Form I-9 documentation.
Federal regulations state you must retain a Form I-9 for each person you hire for three years after the date of hire, or one year after the date employment ends, whichever is later.
Non-compliance is risky and expensive! Let CRI eliminate those hassles with full-service Payroll, HR tools and comprehensive Bookkeeping Services. CRI offers the highest level of personal customer service – we’re committed to eliminating your back office hassles so you can focus on running your business.